Substitute Teacher - Mesa Arts Academy
TITLE: Substitute Teacher/Assistant Mesa Arts Academy
REPORTS TO: Supervising Teacher and Assistant Principal
FSLA: Part Time
This employee is responsible for assisting the teacher in organizing and implementing an instructional, academic program. This employee will work under direct supervision of a teacher or teachers. In most cases, this position is a part-time position with no benefits.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Assisting the teacher with maintaining a classroom environment conducive to effective learning.
- Assisting with duties that require movement of students to areas on campus.
- Maintaining classroom environment conducive to effective learning by utilizing approved school-wide classroom management techniques as needed.
- Utilizing the Discipline Referral Chart in documenting and processing behavior issues.
- Follow approved schedules and procedures for starting and ending classes, and the transitioning of students.
- Understand all fire drill and lock down procedures.
Knowledge of Subject Matter:
- Communicating accurate knowledge of subject matter in a comprehensible manner using language and style appropriate to the learner.
- Applying concepts, laws, and rules relevant to subject matter.
- Demonstrating a breadth of subject matter knowledge that enables students to approach and relate topics from a variety of perspectives, interests, and points of view.
- Using the current references, materials, and technologies of the subject field in a manner appropriate to the developmental stage of the learner.
- Demonstrating the ability to check student comprehension of subject matter and providing accurate feedback to students.
Planning For Instruction:
- Assisting the teacher with the design of the academic program based on the assessed needs of students.
- Assisting the teacher with preparation and implementation of lesson plans for students based on assessed needs and in accordance with the Academy’s philosophy and curriculum system.
Delivery of Instruction:
- Providing academic assistance and support for individual and/or small groups of intervention students.
- Assisting the teacher with effective utilization of media and technology.
- Be available to step in as lead instructor in the absence of the lead classroom teacher.
Assessment of Student Performance:
- Assisting the teacher with administration of appropriate assessments designed to measure student progress.
- Assisting the teacher with evaluating student progress on a regular basis and
providing feedback to students.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative relations with other employees.
- Assisting the teacher with establishing and maintaining open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning academic and behavioral progress of assigned students.
- Assisting the teacher with preparing progress reports to school personnel and parents.
- Utilizing approved methods and forms for out-of-classroom referrals.
Professional Development Program:
- Continuing professional growth through educational in-service, meetings, and required trainings.
- Assisting with climate counseling of students when available.
- Assisting the teacher with taking necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, materials, equipment and facilities.
- Assisting the teacher with ensuring that each student in the program has required records in his/her permanent record and/or portfolio.
- Performing other responsibilities, as directed. This will include: lunch duty, recess duty and climate counseling.
- Performing other duties as assigned by supervisor or Administrative staff.
- Attending all aides meetings and professional development activities.
- Record arrival time before entering classroom on Electronic Time Card in school office.
1. Must have or be able to obtain Level One IVP AZ Fingerprint Card, AND
2. High School Diploma or equivalent, AND
3. Associate’s Degree, OR
4. 60 hours of college/university level course work, OR
5. Demonstrated proficiency on State assessment.
Key words: teacher; teaching; substitute; sub; substitute teacher; education; teacher's assistant; teacher's aide