A school secretary answers the office phone and transfers calls as necessary, processes tuition payments, maintains student records, welcomes school visitors, and handles any day-to-day clerical needs required by the school.
- Answer telephone and addresses caller questions and concerns.
- Transfers calls to proper individual and/or department as needed.
- Mails student report cards, school brochures, and other necessary forms.
- Welcomes visitors to the school and provides directions around the building as needed.
- Greets all incoming visitors for the purpose of ensuring that guests sign in/out as required.
- Types up and contributes to the school bulletin or newsletter.
- Assists in designing and drawing up promotional and informational materials for parents.
- Provides students with tardy slips.
- Maintains records of student absences.
- Sorts and distributes mail delivered to the school office.
- Contacts parents in the event of student illness or behavioral issues.
- Maintains student records and files.
- Uses computer databases or filing system to update records as necessary.
- Provides administrative support to the principal or other upper level administrator as needed.
- Takes dictation and transcribes documents.
- Attends office meetings and takes minutes.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills.
- Maintains professional and friendly demeanor.
- Possesses excellent organizational skills.
- Is capable of managing time efficiently.
- Demonstrate ability to multitask effectively.
- Works well with a variety of students, administrators, and parents.
- Exhibits ability to remain polite and calm when dealing with troublesome students or frustrated parents.
- Possesses basic computer skills and knowledge of word processing programs.
- Is familiar with Google documents.
- Demonstrates ability to think creatively.
- Demonstrates strong writing and editing abilities.
- Possesses excellent telephone etiquette.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Is capable of handling confidential student records in a responsible fashion.
- Demonstrates familiarity with basic office equipment such as multi-line phones, copiers, fax machines, and scanners.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree is recommended.
- Previous work experience in an office setting is required.
- The majority of working hours will be spent in an office setting.
- Light physical activity such as walking and standing, is required on a daily basis.
- Some local travel to complete office errands may be required.
- Be able to read, write and speak Spanish fluently.
- Valid fingerprint clearance card with IVP number.
- Ability to work with diverse populations and cultures.
- Willingness to adapt to change.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.