Mesa Academy Arts - Assistant Principal
DEPARTMENT: Mesa Arts Academy
REPORTS TO: Mesa Arts Academy Principal
FSLA: Full Time, Exempt
SUPERVISES: Classroom Teachers and Aides
Work with the Principal to develop and sustain a challenging and clearly articulated vision for the school, which sets high standards for all students and which is understood, shared and acted upon effectively by students, staff and School Board. Responsible for coordinating the Academy’s academic program with teachers and Principal. Trains and evaluates classroom teachers’ performance and recommends or provides appropriate professional development activities. The position will also support the Principal with student discipline.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
- Assist the Principal in leading and managing the school.
- In charge when the Principal is not on campus.
- Active member of the school Leadership Team.
- Working with the Principal, develops and establishes school goals and objectives along with planning the school’s instructional program.
- Assist Principal with bi-weekly classroom informal observations checking student engagement, differentiation, and concepts listed.
- Assist Principal with annual formal Classroom Teacher observations and performance reviews following MAA guidelines for teacher evaluations.
- Provide timely feedback and coaching to instructional staff to encourage professional growth and achievement of overall goals and objectives.
- Ensure the Principal is aware of staff or student concerns as they arise.
- Organize events to recognize student achievement.
- Assists with student orientation and registration activities.
- Prepare staff meeting agendas and facilitate.
- Provide clerical and technology support to the Principal on an as-needed basis.
- Provide required postings and information to the School Board including typing and retention of board minutes.
- Complete and submit insurance and accident reports. Maintain information on insurance claims.
- Assist with updating the Staff and Student Handbooks.
- Create and print annual Staff Calendars.
- Maintain a system to track all certifications, endorsements and DPS cards.
- Attends IEP meetings and parent/teacher conferences for students who are at-risk of failure due to attendance, behavior, or academic
- Work in conjunction with staff at BGC to schedule rooms and ensure a cohesive and positive work environment which results in a safe and enjoyable place for staff and youth.
Curriculum and Assessment:
- Ensure that the Academy curriculum is fully aligned with the Arizona Academic Standards. Review and update as necessary.
- Acts as the Assessment Coordinator ensuring the school follows all requirements to properly administer state and federally mandated assessments.
- Design and schedule an assessment program that is consistent with the educational philosophy of the Academy and aligned with Arizona standards and requirements. (benchmark tests, progress monitoring, state testing, and other assessments as needed).
- Attend ADE trainings and provide training to staff on required assessments.
- Schedule and facilitate meetings to hire instructional staff (teachers, aides, coaches).
- Provide progress reports and quarterly report cards to parents. Ensure final grades and promotion status is entered in student permanent files.
- Provide benchmark assessment materials three times a year.
- Update teacher files to reflect professional development.
- Submit technology support tickets to maintain classroom and school computers.
- Coordinate technology tickets and requests for service including repairs, purchases, and maintenance.
- Serve as the leader of the Academy’s Technology Team. Make recommendations to the Principal and School Board in this area.
- Ensure that all required technology surveys are provided to staff, students, and parents; and that results are appropriately published and utilized to make key decisions in the area of technology.
- Provide basic tech
- Seek technology coordination between vendors.
- Assist with posting grades and printing report cards.
- Maintain an inventory of technology equipment.
- Work together with the Leadership Team to produce a balanced annual budget and end-of-year financial report. Manage financial income and expenditures in your areas.
- Maintain a compliant system of financial accountability in relation to accepting and receipting monies.
- Ensure that purchase requisitions and purchase orders are current.
- Coordinate financial transactions relating to NSLP, MAAPO, donations, tax credits, fees, credit cards, fundraiser, invoices and expenses, and bank deposits.
- Maintain and update a database system of expenditures and income for federal and state grants.
Hiring/Supervising/Evaluating Instructional staff
- Hire, supervise, train and evaluate academic teachers and aides.
- Assist Principal with monitoring classroom practice and interventions to ensure fidelity of program.
- Assist Principal with developing professional development plans for all instructional staff when needed. Work with Human Resources when a written notice or termination is needed.
- Schedule professional development activities and resources.
- Evaluate instructional staff by conducting formal and informal observations that support the MAA Teacher Evaluation Protocol.
- Provide coaching, professional development, and additional materials to support professional development plans.
- Track instructional staff attendance and provide coaching if needed.
- Ensure that instructional staff that are absent have a qualified substitute to complete their duties.
- Assist the Principal in implementing a system of teacher evaluation that is based on a “student engagement” protocol.
- Coordinate adoptions of textbooks, interventions, and programs.
- Purchase necessary materials to support the academic curriculum and instruction.
- Purchase and consult on purchasing equipment and supplies for classrooms and office.
- Procure oral or written bids for large purchases as required.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Assist in maintaining a system to track Academy’s credit card use.
- Follow purchase order criteria and approval level amounts.
Student Behavior Support/Discipline
- Assist Principal with directing and maintaining discipline on campus and creating written discipline guidelines.
- Assist in processing and documenting student behavior issues.
- Implement the Academy’s system to track, compile, and report student behavior incidents.
- Provide supervision for students who have been assigned an In-School Suspension (ISS).
- Assist in training staff and implement school wide discipline procedures that follow the discipline flow chart.
- Contact parents as appropriate to communicate discipline outcomes.
- Work with teachers and other staff to develop individualized student behavior plans.
- Inform appropriate staff of the outcomes and consequences related to discipline.
Leadership Team Duties:
- Meet monthly, or more often as needed with the Principal to discuss key issues that address your area of responsibility.
- Meet as scheduled with the Academy Leadership Team to discuss common issues, establish consistent procedures for supervising and reviewing staff, and discuss important school issues.
- Be available if requested to represent the Principal at School Board meetings in his/her absence.
- Serve on BGCV and other community partner committees and boards to enhance your personal development.
- Track Tax Credit contributions, forward all funds and contributor information to the Director of Finance. Forward all in-kind donation forms to the Data Manager at PSC.
Other Job-related Responsibilities:
- Attend Boys & Girls Club of Valley’s events and meetings as required.
- Serve on Leadership Teams, Program Evaluations, and Study Groups when available.
- Participate on School committees as needed (Parent Meetings, Site Council, School Board, Climate and Curriculum meetings, etc.
- Serve on committees that revise State and Federal Plans.
- Provide for personal professional growth through an ongoing program of workshops, seminars, conferences and/or course work at institutions of higher learning.
- Plan agendas, attend and participate in faculty meetings or other meetings (such as School Board) as required. Ensure that minutes and records are kept.
- Work with the Principal to evaluate the school climate.
- Work with administration to ensure the safety of students during the drop-off and pick-up process.
- Assist with maintenance and custodial duties as necessary.
- Ensure approved schedules and procedures for starting and ending classes, and the transitioning of students are being followed by instructional staff.
- Perform other responsibilities as directed by the Principal.
- Understand all Fire drill and lock down procedures.
1. Bachelor's degree (AND)
3. Full ESL, bi-lingual, or SEI endorsement (AND)
4. Valid Arizona Educator's Certificate in subject fields or K/8 (OR)
5. Passing scores on content and pedagogy tests (OR)
1. Graduate coursework beyond the bachelor's degree.
2. 3 years minimum classroom teaching experience.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2096