This employee is responsible for the overall cleanliness, sanitation, security, safety and maintenance of school buildings, grounds and equipment. This employee arrives one hour before staff to be sure campus is safe, and ready for students.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Opening classrooms and buildings every morning by doing a walk through to be sure campus is clean and secure.
- Periodically throughout school day cleaning and sanitizing of buildings including classrooms, hallways, cafeteria, gymnasium, media center, auditoriums, lobbies, lounges, corridors, storage areas and other work spaces.
- Cleaning may include, but is not limited to, removing trash, vacuuming, mopping, sweeping, dusting, buffing, cleaning carpets, washing windows scrubbing floors and ceilings, and sanitizing restrooms.
- Assist staff with programs, special events or assemblies. Perform set up and tear down of tables, chairs, and audiovisual equipment; assist with training users on equipment as needed; and troubleshoot equipment problems. May lock/unlock areas for access for building use and events.
- Perform minor maintenance repairs and building/facility modifications such as repairing, moving or assembling furniture; repairing custodial equipment; touch up or cover up painting; hanging teaching aids, etc. Submit maintenance requests for repairs and modification requests.
- Maintain exterior of building as requested including mowing, weeding, distribute sand/ wood chips, clean outside doors and lighting.
- Perform daily grounds and building inspection. Inspect heating pumps and compressors, boilers, fire extinguishers, playground equipment and building for hazards, damage and vandalism. Complete and submit works orders to Maintenance and Operations for repair or replacement. Perform cleaning and monitor restrooms throughout the day to ensure health and safety standards are upheld. Follow Universal Precautions and sanitation procedures when handling clean up of bodily fluids. Unclog plumbing and waste traps as needed.
- Receive, unpack, store and deliver instructional and custodial supplies to appropriate staff member or storage area.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
TECHNICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal relations skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with students with diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Ability to promote and follow policies, building and department procedures.
- Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the workplace, follow safety rules, practice safe work habits, utilize appropriate safety equipment and report unsafe conditions to the appropriate administrator.
- Satisfactory personal appearance and hygiene.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands, and work environment factors described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Over 2/3 of the time this position requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, kneeling, crouching, and crawling.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Outdoor 50% of the time
Indoor 50% of the time
1. Fingerprint clearance card with IVP number
2. High School Diploma or equivalent
3. Experience in custodial work
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.