AmeriCorps Youth Mentor
Commitment Required: Monday –Friday 12pm- 7pm (Hours vary dependent on school calendar)
1200 hours total. 20-40 hours weekly for the duration of the Program year (TBD by start date) Program year September 2022– August 2023
Purpose: This position assists BGCAZ in making progress towards improving consistency and quality around academic success programming, which directly affects BGCAZ’s ability to provide premier out-of-school time programming.
Service Position Summary: The AmeriCorps Service Objectives for this position include: (1) providing academic support and adult connection for youth and teens; (2) data collection for the outcomes of Project Achieve. This position is supported by the Branch Director, Program Director, BGCAZ’s Program Manager-Academic Success, and BGCAZ’s Volunteer Service Manager.
- Build partnerships between families, schools and Clubs.
- Provide academic remediation to Project Achieve participants.
- Provide individual and small group mentoring for 45 to 60 minutes per service day with at least 30 hours of individualized instruction over project year.
- Ensure that Project Achieve participants have focused allotted time to reading, writing, STEM, goal setting, and team building activities.
- Monitor Project Achieve participant’s school and Club attendance.
- Monitor Project Achieve participant’s academic achievement, progress, and overall growth
- Interact with youth ages 5-18 as a positive adult and role model.
- Must be at least 18 years old at time of service.
- Demonstrate ability to mentor youth and/or teens with prior experience assisting with.
- Demonstrated ability to provide academic remediation to youth and/or teens.
- Ability to take direction well.
- Ability to function well in fast –paced, noisy environments.
- Desire to help and relate to youth from diverse backgrounds.
Additionally, the national service member needs to successfully complete the following:
- AmeriCorps application process, including fingerprinting – no cost for fingerprinting
- BGCAZ volunteer placement and onboarding processes, including BGCAZ background check – no cost for background check
- BGCAZ New Hire Orientation & Project Achieve Training
AmeriCorp Program Benefits:
- Professional development & Networking opportunities
- Living allowance
- Education Award upon completion with scholarships and loan deferment on student loans